• Users Online: 200
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 102-106

The correlation of e-cadherin expression with the modified gleason score and the grade group of prostatic adenocarcinoma


1 Department of Pathology, Erbil Health Directorate, Erbil, Iraq
2 Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Duhok, Duhok, Iraq

Correspondence Address:
Sakar Azad Hayder
Erbil Health Directorate, Erbil
Iraq
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/MJBL.MJBL_2_21

Get Permissions

Background: E-cadherin is a cell adhesion molecule, its downregulation is associated with poorly differentiated tumors in many organs, and its loss is associated with adverse behavior of many tumors. Objectives: This study aims to find a correlation between E-cadherin status, the Grade Group, and the modified Gleason score in core biopsies obtained from prostatic carcinoma. Materials and Methods: This study is a retrospective and prospective cross-sectional study that was conducted on (50) paraffin blocks obtained from core biopsies of prostatic carcinoma. E-cadherin status was correlated with the Grade Group and the modified Gleason score. The E-cadherin staining pattern was also examined for its correlation with perineural invasion. Chi-square was used to determine the correlation between E-cadherin staining pattern on the one hand and the modified Gleason score, Grade Group, and perineural invasion on the other hand and P < 0.5% was considered as significant. Results: Only six patients (12%) fall in Grade Group 1 and according to the modified Gleason score, most patients had high scores. Regarding E-cadherin expression, 24 cases (48%) had aberrant E-cadherin expression, while the rest 26 cases (52%) had a complete strong membranous expression. Statistically, there was a significant correlation between aberrant E-cadherin expression and increasing grade according to the modified Gleason score and Grade Group with P values of 0.032% and 0.022%, respectively. In 24 patients (48%), perineural invasion was detected half of them had aberrant E-cadherin expression which was statistically notsignificant when both the parameters (perineural invasion and aberrant E-cadherin expression) are tested against the modified Gleason score and the Grade Group (P = 0.71%). Conclusion: Aberrant E-cadherin expression is associated with increasing modified Gleason score and Grade Group but has no significant correlation with perineural invasion.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed120    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded17    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal